The warehouse/industrial market continued to improve in 2015. According to the most recent survey of over 18 million square feet of warehouse/industrial space over 10,000 square feet in Bibb County, occupancy is 83% which is an increase from 77% in 2011. However, when the vacant 2.2 million square foot Brown & Williamson Tobacco Plant is removed from the survey, the occupancy increases to over 90%. Also, between 2013 and 2015 the market absorbed over 800,000 square feet. For a full copy of this article, click to download the PDF .
Highlights of Industrial/warehouse Activity in 2015 include:
- The 192,000 square foot 2000 White Elk Springs Court warehouse sold to Gilmer Warehouse Services
- Chem-Aqua leased a 44,000 square foot space on Joe Tamplin Industrial Blvd located in the Ocmulgee East Industrial Park.
- Courier Express leased the 42,600 square foot building in the Allied Industrial Park.
- Cooling Tower Systems leased 20,000 square feet at Westside Business Center on Mercer University Dr.
- First Quality Packaging Solutions will locate its manufacturing operations and create 115 new jobs with a $68 million investment over the next 5 years.
- The 1 million square foot Kumho Tire Plant in the Sofkee Industrial Park is almost complete with an opening production scheduled to begin in 2016.
- Boeing Aircraft is converting one of its military plants to commercial production.
The Macon-Bibb County Industrial Authority reported that since 2004 the Authority has sold over 800 acres in their seven (7) industrial parks and has added 130 acres at I-75/Sardis Church Road, 105 acres on Fulton Mill Rd, 115 acres on Fulton Mill Road, and 150 acres on Industrial Highway.